The Clerk's office for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland is open to serve the public from 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (excluding federal holidays). The Court is also open, by telephone, through after-hours Drop Boxes located in the lobbies of the Courthouses, and through the Court's web-based pilot Electronic Document Submission System (EDSS) for parties without an attorney.
Important Information About Visiting the Clerk's Office
- In the interest of public safety due to the Covid-19 pandemic, any visitors to the Clerk's Office MUST adhere to all applicable safety protocols.
- All persons entering the courthouse must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, or provide a negative COVID-19 test result from a test administered no more than 48 hours prior. See this Memorandum regarding the Court's Vaccination Policy and United States District Court Standing Order 2021-15 and United States District Court Standing Order 2021-16 for more details.
- For current masking requirements in the courthouse (masks required in courtrooms unless otherwise directed by the presiding judge; masks optional in other public courthouse areas) see United States District Court Standing Order 2022-03.
- You are prohibited from entering the courthouse if you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or told to presume you have COVID-19 by a health professional within the last 10 days (the waiting period is reduced to five days for fully vaccinated individuals who are not symptomatic and provide a negative COVID test within the preceding 48 hours), or fall within any of the restricted categories of persons. See United States District Court Standing Order 2021-15 (which superseded United States District Court Amended Standing Order 2021-07) and United States District Court Standing Order 2021-16 for more details.
- Payments are accepted in the form of money order, cashier's check, and cash.
- Documents to be filed should be completed in advance, not at the time of your visit to the Clerk's office.
- You can request copies of documents, including forms for filing. Public terminals are available for up to 30 minutes at a time. The cost for printing is $0.10 per page if you print from the public terminals, or $0.50 per page if printed by the clerk's office. Please bring small bills or change to pay for copies; while we can make change, exact payments are appreciated.
Alternatives to Visiting the Clerk's Office
Electronic Document Submission System (EDSS)
Documents may be electronically submitted by self-represented parties using our pilot Electronic Document Submission System (EDSS). Self-represented parties are not authorized to submit payments electronically.
A physical drop box is available for case filings and payments at the entrance to each courthouse where self-represented parties may deposit and date-stamp papers, Monday through Friday, from 4:00 p.m. until midnight in Baltimore and from 4:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. in Greenbelt. Payments in the form of money order or cashier's check can be placed in the drop box and will be processed within 48 business hours.
The Clerk's office is available to answer general procedural questions during normal business hours which are, Monday – Friday from 8:45 AM – 4 PM. The general number for Baltimore is 410-962-2688. The general number for Greenbelt is 301-344-8018.
For additional after hours information, view this document: AfterHours2021.pdf.