Beginning October 1, 2020, the Clerk's office for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland is open to serve the public, by appointment only, for in person service. The Court is also open, by telephone, through Drop Boxes located in the lobbies of the Courthouses, and through the Court's web-based pilot Electronic Document Submission System (EDSS) for parties without an attorney.
Important Information About Scheduling Intake Appointments
- In the interest of public safety due to the Covid-19 pandemic, any visitors to the Clerk's Office MUST adhere to all applicable safety protocols.
- In accordance with the United States District Court’s Standing Order 2020-10, face coverings or face masks are required while in the courthouse.
- You are prohibited from entering the courthouse if you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or told to presume you have COVID-19 by a health professional within the last 14 days, or fall within any of the restricted categories of persons identified in the United States District Court's Amended Standing Order 2020-14. When you arrive, also in accordance with the United States District Court's Amended Standing Order 2020-14, you must have your temperature taken to verify you do not have a temperature of 100.0 degrees or higher, and Court Security Officers will verify that you have a scheduled appointment. Please print a copy of your confirmation email or present the confirmation email on your mobile device.
- Appointments are for case filings and payments only. Public terminals are currently unavailable. You can access public dockets by visiting PACER.
- Appointments are scheduled in 30-minute intervals between 9 AM and 2:30 PM, Monday through Friday excluding Federal holidays. If you arrive more than 15 minutes late for your scheduled appointment, you may be asked to reschedule.
- Payments are accepted in the form of money order, cashier's check, and cash. Cash payments must be exact. We cannot make change at this time and any overtures will be forfeited.
- Documents to be filed must be completed in advance, not at the time of the scheduled appointment in the Clerk's office.
- You can request copies of documents, including forms for filing. The cost for printing is $0.10 per page. Please bring small bills or change to pay for copies.
Alternatives to Visiting the Clerk's Office
Electronic Document Submission System (EDSS)
Documents may be electronically submitted by self-represented parties using our pilot Electronic Document Submission System (EDSS). Self-represented parties are not authorized to submit payments electronically.
A physical drop box is available for case filings and payments at the entrance to each courthouse where self-represented parties may deposit and date-stamp papers during regular business hours, and after hours until midnight in Baltimore and 6 pm in Greenbelt. An appointment is not necessary. Payments in the form of money order or cashier's check can be placed in the drop box and will be processed within 48 business hours.
The Clerk's office is available to answer general procedural questions during normal business hours which are, Monday – Friday from 8:45 AM – 4 PM. The general number for Baltimore is 410-962-2688. The general number for Greenbelt is 301-344-8018.
For additional after hours information, view this document: AfterHours2020.pdf.